My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Remembrances

Open-Air Market: We went through a large village one time and stopped at an open-air market. They had all kind of fruits, fish, dried meats, and vegetables. I tried some of what the locals told me were dried squid and monkey meat. I did not like either one. The monkey meat was too stringy. Also, I saw some “Care” package goods that had been sent there as charity for the people, being sold for money; black market goods I guess.

Donut Dollies: Brave young women who would visit the troops in the field during the Vietnam War were called donut dollies, because they brought donuts and candy and other little goodies. I saw them once.

The Monks: The Buddhists Monks walked around in bright orange robes. I never had a chance to talk to any of the monks. I wish I had, but I was busy with the war.

Elephants: I knew they were there, I could hear them crashing through the bamboo at night. The closest I ever came to seeing an elephant was the time I saw the skeleton head of one that someone had set up on a post at the entrance of a village.

Tigers: I never saw a tiger in Vietnam; however, I did see some tiger tracks down by a little stream, and from the looks of the tracks, I never wanted to run into the tiger.

Snakes: Vietnam, we were warned in the States, was full of snakes. I never saw one in the eight months I was there. Maybe that was because I didn’t look for them and I wasn’t a foot soldier, although I did my share of jungle patrols on foot. There was supposed to be a small snake, called “Mr. Two Step”, so named, because if you were bitten by one you took two steps and keeled over dead.

Monkeys: I never saw a monkey in the wild in Vietnam. I did see one that some soldier had had as a pet. That monkey was still wild, and caged outside of a hutch in the Ninth Infantry’s base camp known as Bear Cat. One could not get too close to the cage, for that was one mean monkey.

Anthills: I saw anthills that were four and five feet tall in Vietnam.

South China Sea: Beautiful, beautiful sea.

Rest and Relaxation: R & R- I went to Sydney, Australia, beautiful, beautiful Sydney, beautiful country, beautiful people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home