My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Volunteer

The sixty-caliber machine gun (‘60’) weighed about 19 pounds. No one wanted to carry it on patrol. However, it had to be carried by someone. However, I did, I even volunteered. Let me explain.

I was the new guy and the Platoon sergeant had it in for me, probably just because I was the new guy. When we fell out for patrol, the platoon Sarge yelled, “BINION, front and center.” When I stepped to the front, he shoved a twenty-pound backpack radio into my arms and told me I was his new radioman. I put it on my back and the ten-foot whip antenna made me an instant target.

In addition, I had no experience “talking” on a radio. There was a special radio language. Example: You say, “say again” when you did not here something clearly; not “repeat”. Saying, “repeat” could bring a barrage of artillery in on your head. Live and learn, learn and live. I carried the radio that day.

The next morning when we fell out for patrol and the Platoon Sarge, yelled’ “BINION, front and center.” I stepped forward, with the ‘60’ in my hand. The Sarge simply said, “your dismissed, Binion”, with a slight smile on his face. As I was returning back to my squad, I heard him bellow, “LOPEZ, front and center.”

Therefore, because I went to my Squad leader the night before and volunteered to carry the ‘60’, I didn’t have to carry the radio. Hey, you can shoot a ‘60’; you can’t shoot with a radio. Live and learn; learn and live. I carried the ‘60’ for a few days, until I was no longer the ‘new guy.’ There were always new guys every week or so.

Live and learn; learn and live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home